Tuesday 14 January 2014

Round One...Me?

Note: Very disorganised rant ahead

What is it about playing silly little mind games that tickle the simple mind oh so pleasantly? If the thrill of puns, the mystery of pretence, elusive text puzzles and Whatsapp hide-and-seek games fascinate you, you don’t belong here.

These games exist everywhere people interact with each other: at work, at church, at restaurants, in communities, in romantic relationships, platonic friendships, EVERYWHERE!

If you’re anything like me, (blunt as a mash-pilon, focused as a poisoned arrow) silly little mind games drive you absolutely nuts! If you’re old enough to read and understand this, you’re old enough to be over silly little mind games. I always call mind games ‘little’ and ‘silly’ because they don’t belong in most places where they’re used.

For some reason, somebody has said it’s not only okay but necessary to plot and scheme for a fleeting objective or for something that you’re really not sure you want anyway. Somebody has said there’s no other way to grow a relationship than to play moves and counter moves.

I heard something about love being a battlefield and while I appreciate the poetry in the cliché, I say rubbish! Don’t get me wrong, a plot here and a scheme there can be loads of fun. But is it absolutely necessary when all you want is a meaningful or objective relationship? You know, a real one with as little wasted time as possible? I blame those silly little mind games on those silly little movies which are so entertaining but so glaringly pointless. You know what I mean -movies that teach you to counteract his moves and to say this if she says that and blah blah blah. It happens in real life everyday and whenever I see signs of it happening to me, I jam the brakes really frigging fast.

You like this girl, you think she’s really nice. You have her number, SO CALL HER! What’s the point of checking a calendar every thirty minutes to make sure you don’t “call too fast”? Ok so he calls, you ignore the call just to text three days later and play hide-and-seek on Whatsapp by pretending that you didn’t download an app so you can spy discreetly. Ok, so you finally go out but somebody has told you that it’s best to wait two weeks before speaking again so you torture yourself again with the thirty-minute interval calendar checks...

TO WHAT END?!

It would be laughable if it wasn’t so silly and little. What do I gain from perpetual diplomacy and feigned shyness? A lot of wasted time in my book. What’s the point?

The way I see it, you state your case early on so this other person knows that this is what you want and they either get on board or they don’t. That way you have very simply and effectively eliminated those unsuitable ones. Focus on EXACTLY what you seek and pursue it relentlessly unless it’s something or someone who really doesn’t want to be pursued-at least by you. Then you press on with what you have left, carrying forward with your philosophy.

The problems lie where people don’t appreciate a good dousing of the unpainted truth. In this brief period we are given by God to work, sleep and consume- all the while entertaining ourselves along the way, I don’t see any time to waste. You know what else comes to mind? That a bold and very straightforward person is too “forward.” Yes, I’m referring to myself. What’s wrong with knowing what I want and going for it? Why should I play catch and go fetch with important stuff that I consider valuable enough for my time? Why can’t a person appreciate absolute honesty without feeling scammed?

And that’s the problem- people tend to feel scammed when I come clean and outline exactly what I want. The other person of course has the right to disagree with my wants, and to list his own expectations. I am woman enough to listen, reject or compromise if I think the relationship/friendship/interest is worth it. I can more readily respect someone who will unapologetically state his agenda, than someone who will cower behind a Whatsapp screen.

Ultimately, don’t we all want the same things: good times, laughter, and no guilt after? Why should the entire process be treated as a game or battle-I play one, you play one? I don’t see anything wrong with putting one’s self out there and illustrating how one feels. What’s to lose?

I propose that the next time this opportunity comes along, you approach it this way-full speed ahead and completely open.

2 comments:

  1. "Silly little mind games" I've heard of it, seen it, participated in it. Don't we all? There here for a reason? no? Call to often/much then it's seen as a form of desperation, and since women like a chase, that's a turn off. No? I mean women do like the boys bad, and this is something that a bad boy would do, the interested/uninterested game, the one that makes blood boil, the solution is stated right, "blunt as a mash-pilon" but that can come off as harsh, I say it's quick and effective, I rather like straight to the point people and also hate the silly little mind games, but what can you do, as long as one party plays so will the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're right! Sometimes you're forced to play along too. But when you realise where you've ended up, I think you should cut your losses and move on.

    ReplyDelete

Whats on your mind?