Tuesday 15 January 2013

Being Diplomatic is Such a Chore!

This is completely unplanned but I feel I should say that professionals in a work place should take advantage of their right to a comfortable working environment.

Sexual harassment and misconduct is a real and punishable thing. Some people might be concerned that they let it go on for so long that it’s no longer punishable but it is. In fact if at any point the behaviour of any person in your workplace makes you uncomfortable, you should never think twice about putting a stop to it.


Putting a stop to it doesn’t mean cussing out the person the way you really really want to. It means telling the person that their behaviour is inappropriate. Most dogs will then get offended and try to insult you to which you simply reply that this is your only warning.

Nobody can say that this person was not told. Say it in a calm and controlled manner and do not debate it.

What constitutes misconduct or harassment?
Any sexually suggestive comment or action that offends you. I know in every workplace there are one or two dogs that see sex in everything. They cannot compliment you without referring to sex. They cannot see you out without assuming you’re looking for something. It’s only idiots who see sex in everything.

Right now I’m pissed off! What I really want to do is go crazy and scream obscenities, instead I’m here typing as fast and furiously as I can.

After you warn the person. If the behaviour continues, you should speak to your superior who will speak to the person privately and respectfully. No superior should make you feel like you deserved it, you asked for it or you don’t have a valid case. As long as you are uncomfortable, you have a case.

If nothing is done you have an even bigger case. Letters should then follow and bosses’ bosses should be contacted.

In our culture, we let things go too far. We take too much before something is done. I’m not allowing that any more. A co-worker is just a co-worker. You are not obligated to laugh at his/her sexually suggestive jokes or comments and you don’t have to listen to the disgusting stories or answer personal questions.

What’s the point in saying behind his/her back that he/s he is a pig and never doing anything about it.

You might be hated and ignored after that but your comfort and peace of mind is worth it.

I had a co-worker once ask me to turn around so he can see what I looked like in my running tights. Wtf is that?? There were dignitaries about so I couldn’t respond in the way I would have liked to at the time and that’s my problem. My first reaction is not to speak calmly and respectfully so by the time I repress that urge to say something crazy I’ve let the opportunity pass to say the right thing.

Although the opportunity never really passes, I want to be in context and very clear.

I keep saying at work that the less people I know the better for me, that sounds crazy to some but I know what I’m talking about. Just put me in a box and let me do my thing. I wouldn’t have any cause to repress my angry outbursts and be professional.

Being diplomatic is such a chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whats on your mind?